The Importance of Doing a Background Check on Your DatePosted on: October 12, 2021 by Gavin Muirhead
With the evolution of technology and the introduction of social media came a massive change in the way we date and find our significant other. A blind date used to entail meeting up with someone at the suggestion of a third party who knew this other person and could vouch for them. But in modern times, dating often entails meeting with strangers we connect with online through dating sites or social media platforms.
While this opens a new door, enabling us with a new way to find our special someone, it also brings with it a cause for concern and the fear of meeting someone we know so little about, and almost all of it is what we’ve experienced through a social media app.
Meeting someone in person we’ve connected with online can be scary if you don’t know much about the person. That’s where conducting a background check on your date comes into play and can help alleviate some of those fears.
Let’s discuss what to expect with a background check, the steps to take to conduct one, and how to get started.
What to Expect from a Background Check
Now that you know that running a background check on your date can help you alleviate any fears or concerns you have before meeting them, let’s discuss what aspects of a background check:
- Criminal Records: Has your Saturday night date been in trouble with the law or spent time incarcerated? Statistics indicate one in five Americans has a criminal record. You can check if your date has a criminal record by running a county, state, or national background check. County records will show crimes committed in that county, while state background checks will list any crimes committed in the entire state. State or even national background checks are convenient when you aren’t sure which county your date has resided in the past. Currently, 46 states have electronic databases of criminal records. Criminal records will contain any information related to arrests, convictions, court records, warrants, sex offenses, incarceration records, and more.
- Sex Offenses: One concern you’ll definitely want to clear up before meeting your online date is if they are listed as a registered sex offender. All 50 US states are mandated to have a sex offender registry available to the public.
- Social Media Profiles: What criminal background checks don’t tell you, social media profiles will. You can easily find your date’s social media profiles (if you aren’t already connected with them) by doing a Google search of your date’s name and city, or by searching their name using the search tool available on all major social media platforms. This will give you a better perspective of your date’s personality, hobbies, and lifestyle. You’ll learn insights such as how they communicate with other people, see images, and learn the things they’re passionate about such as dogs, cats, political affiliations, religious beliefs, etc. Investigating your date’s social media profiles will give you a good perspective into whether or not they might be a good match for you.
How to Run an Online Dating Background Check
You can run a background check on your date in three easy steps:
- Criminal Background Check: Using our database, you can choose to run a criminal background check on your date at the county, state, or national level. This can give you a good snapshot of your date’s past and if they’ve experienced trouble with the law. Sometimes, the things we do in our youth don’t always reflect the adult we have worked hard to become now. However, this type of check will give you a good idea of how to start a conversation about past indiscretions and see how your date presents the truth of their past.
- Personal Background Check: This type of check will show you marriage certificates, public legal history, work history, education information, and use of social media. You can learn about more types of background checks, such as a credit check and financial data by calling us today!
How to Get Started on Conducting A Background Check on Your Date
Conducting a background check on your date doesn’t have to be complicated or stressful. Affordable Background Checks will help you prepare to meet your prospective love interest in person and give you the peace of mind you need. Contact us today to get started!