How Misconceptions About Background Checks Lead To Poor HiringPosted on: July 26, 2022 by Gavin Muirhead
One of the most important steps in the hiring process is conducting a background check. This helps employers to screen out applicants who may have a history of criminal activity or poor job performance. However, many employers will be tempted to skip the important step of the background check because of some misconceptions they may have about the process. To help avoid costly hiring mistakes, it is important for employers to use background checks wisely and to consider other factors when making hiring decisions.
Background Check Misconceptions
Many employers hesitate to conduct background checks on job applicants, fearing that they will miss out on qualified candidates or that the process will be too time-consuming and expensive. However, failing to conduct a thorough background check can lead to costly consequences down the road. Here are three ways in which misconceptions about background checks can lead to poor hiring decisions:
- One common misconception is background checks are time-consuming and costly. When you need help quickly, it can be tempting to forego the background check to get someone hired as quickly as possible. However, affordable background checks are available, and many of them move a lot faster than you might expect. You might end up waiting an extra day or two, but it can save you untold grief in your hiring process.
- Another misconception is that all background checks are created equal. In reality, there are many different types of background checks, and each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. For example, some background checks only search public records, while others also include private databases. As a result, it’s important to understand the limitations of each type of background check before making a hiring decision.
- Finally, some employers mistakenly believe that conducting a background check is always illegal. This is not true. While there are some restrictions on how background information can be used, employers are generally allowed to conduct background checks as long as they follow established guidelines.
By understanding the misconceptions about background checks, employers can make more informed hiring decisions and avoid potential problems down the road.
How can skipping a background check backfire?
Conducting a background check on potential employees is an important step in the hiring process. By taking the time to check references and verify qualifications, employers can increase the chances of making a good hire. However, there are also risks associated with skipping the background check.
- False Claims: Applicants can claim anything they want on a resume — there is nothing stopping them from listing schools they never attended or jobs they never actually worked at. A background check helps verify all of their information as true.
- Omitted Information: A potential employee might not disclose their criminal record, or they may not tell you they were let go from a previous job due to theft. Both of these would be important things to know!
- Liability: If your employees work with the public or with children, or if they handle sensitive information, you could be held liable for negligence if they fail to conduct a background check and hire someone who goes on to commit a crime. As a result, it’s important to weigh the risks and benefits of conducting a background check before making a decision.
Trust Affordable Background Checks
When you run a business, you have to be careful about who you trust to bring on board to represent your company. Making the wrong decision can not only cost you those lost wages, it can also cost you in theft and in customer trust if the employee misrepresents your company in an egregious way.
One of the best ways to ensure that the person you’ve interviewed is exactly who they seem to be is a background check. Affordable Background Checks offers thorough, comprehensive background checks with quick turnaround times, so you can keep your business moving and growing with people you can truly trust.
We compile our results from numerous sources so that you can get the full picture when you run a background check. The results will include important things like criminal records, sex offender records, drug test results, and credit reports. When you’re ready to hire, call Affordable Background Checks to get the facts first.